Friday, August 19, 2011
And Along Came Shawn....
In the search to wrap up the loose ends of our remodel, a friend of a friend was referred to me by the name of Shawn. He owns a complete construction company that can take care of anything and everything from building from the ground up to anything in between. Shawn arrived at the house with a binder full of photos from his project, a nice color brochure about his business and credentials, and a list of more than 30 prior customers, their addresses, the scope of the work he did from them and their phone numbers. Each one had agreed to be a reference for his work. Very impressive. He was very warm and easy to talk to and understanding. I think he saw the beat down dogs Matt and I have become when trying to get everything finalized so the project can get underway. A big problem has not only been finding an electrician, but also someone to help us with a lighting design. Many electricians will just install what you tell them to where you tell them to do it. In a kitchen with a dropped ceiling with florescent lights and a single sad chandelier, figuring out cans, pendants, direct or indirect lighting and exactly where, as well as can placement in the brick room, living room and newly expanded hallway, can be a daunting task. Shawn was very upfront that he does not do that on a regular basis, however he knew someone that would come out at no cost and plan that for us. On top of that, he said he once the design was made, he would place the order for us as he gets a discount on the materials since he works with the company regularly. The also horrible nightmare inducing front door was no match for Shawn. With other contractors complaining about the size, age, brick surrounding the door, drawing up the prices to match the price of a door for installation, he stated a flat charge for all front door installation. We allowed him to investigate the door, and the price still did not change. The price, by the way, a small fraction of others we have had out, and we have had out several people at this point. Furthermore, we have found pictures of doors we want but no one has helped us figure out the best place to buy it or best way to go about buying it. We were told by everyone else, you buy and bring the door home, and then we will take Madelyn (our first born) as payment for installing it. Shawn was fantastic. He stated he gets discounts at certain stores, took the picture of we want and said he will find us what we want at a great price, not to mention then install it at almost $1000 less than our contractor we hired quoted us. He almost seemed like a savior at this point. Coming in with knowledge and answers and a willingness to help where no one else has. I think I might have slept a little more peacefully last night feeling like finally progress might be being made. We do not have all of the numbers or anything from him yet, however I got a good feeling from him. Yes, I realize this post could come back to haunt me and bite my in the arse but for today I am feeling good, hoping Shawn will make the rest of this journey a smoother one. After we deal with him more and see how these great promises pan out, I will post his company information because if he delivers as he promises, I would be more than happy to tell everyone I know to use his services.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment