Thursday, December 29, 2011

Fell off the face of the Earth

For anyone who might read this, though I am not sure if there are any - sorry for falling off the face of the Earth.  I found reading back, the blog was getting too depressing - for both myself and probably you as well.  So I decided to take a break.  There were many depressing things that happened in the mean time - but many now have passed.  Since the last blog - disasters that happened included:
- Cracked granite: The day before our exciting granite installation, we were called and told the very large piece for our island was cracked.  They attempted to make us accept this and have an island 6 inches shorter than originally ordered, leaving only a 6 inch ledge to sit under.  We did not accept this and after much complaining and threatening to cancel entire order, were able to pick out a new slab which turned out to be absolutely gorgeous and one of my favorite things in the kitchen.
-Front door handle was missing pieces which still have not been sent so that is extremely frustrating.  We literally have had insulation in the dead bolt top area of the door that is cut out waiting on the new hardware for well over a month.  Definitely not a company I would recommend.
-Flooring issue still has not been resolved.  We are still living with 1/4 of the living room being a completely different flooring.  We have been fighting it and fighting it and hopefully some day will find resolution.  With the furniture moved in most people will never even notice, however we do and for the amount of money that was spent on the floor, we should not have to live with that kind of mistake.

We finally moved back in my birthday weekend.  Things were not done yet but we were ready to go home so we did.  Upon moving home, we found our house to be a very ungrateful place.  After spending so much time, energy and money remodeling the entire first floor, it must have been mad at us.  We moved home on Sunday and on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday had flooding in the basement.  I had no idea the remodel included an indoor pool!!  The first two times was over 6 inches and such a mess.  I won't lie, I cried and was very defeated more than anything.  We had not even unpacked, still did not have running water on the entire first floor, felt so unsettled, and then had to spend days cleaning up and fixing a destroyed basement.  After we finally got those issues resolved, the furnace went out on the coldest night of the year so far on Saturday.  Turns out the electrician did not pull the wires correctly and never reattached the furnace, just the heat pump, into the new breaker box.  We paid to have the entire box updated and new wiring since the house was so old and ended up without a furnace - awesome!!

Eventually however, though things still like to stop working now and then, we are back in and starting to settle.  This weekend, almost a month after moving home, I finally got pretty much everything put away and cleaned up.  It was quite the task to say the least.  We felt like we moved to a new home.  Having to clean and find new homes for everything and find a new way to organize - especially with a 2 year old with way too much stuff - not to mention all of the new things she just acquired from the holidays.  Yesterday we had to cerrara marble backsplash installed and it is one of the most beautiful parts of the kitchen.  It just makes me smile looking at it.  It is gorgeous and pulls the whole thing together.  I could no be happier with it.  We also had quartz countertops installed in the laundry room which now, other than hooking up plumbing to the sink and putting some shelves up in the new coat closet, is also almost done.

The holidays came way too quickly and were exhausting.  After such a long 3 months living away from the house and all that came with moving back in the house, it seemed like a blur this year.  Couple that with the fact Madelyn has decided it is a great idea to wake up at 545 each morning, and life still seems like a blur.

However, the house is almost done and is completely amazing.  More than I could have dreamed for or imagined.  The finished product is one to be proud of.  So much hard work, years of saving and planning, being on the verge of divorce several times through all of the stress - we almost have the home we have always dreamed of.  I walk in and feel like I am living in a magazine - well until I enter the living room I had cleaned before Madelyn woke up but now is littered with toys and clutter.  We spent several hours at Ikea before Christmas buying every shelf and organizational helper they had - hopefully we soon will find a way to contain her belongings.  I don't that I ever recommend an experience like this for anyone else.  Yet, we have everything we could have ever imagined in details that are all ours.  Small little things that mean so much to me are everywhere.  That is something you can only get by experiencing something like we just went through.  It was not easy - I won't lie.  So many decisions, so much work - on top of an already filled, busy, life working full time and raising a child.  After the finishing touches, which seem to never end, are done however, I will hibernate the rest of the winter.  In spring, the inside of our house will finally rival the outside, where we spend every nice day enjoying our 8 acres.  Soon I will post the drastic before and after photos.  Even it being mine and living through it, I can hardly believe the transformation!

No comments:

Post a Comment